Guide to install vsftp on Ubuntu Server on Windows Azure
June 7, 2013 – 11:50 pm | 10 Comments

Once you install a Linux box on Azure you will want some way to send files to and from it. There are plenty of options but one way is to use plain old FTP. The …

Read the full story »
Online Gaming

All about online gaming focusing mainly on First Person Shooters on the PC platform. Consoles may get a mention also but PCZFTW

Game Programming

If its making mods using scripting languages like Unrealscript or dealing with SDK’s like DirectX using C++ it’s in here.

Dot NET

Focusing on the Windows .NET platform. Programming in C# using Visual Studio.

General Computing

Everything got to do with using computers. Whether its Windows, Linux, Mac or other flavour its in here.

Computer Hardware

Graphics Cards, CPU’s, Memory and everything else got to do with building your own PC and modding your existing ones.

Home » Featured, Uncategorized

New Tab Homepage – Firefox Addon

Submitted by on June 30, 2011 – 1:02 am13 Comments

Firefox addon to open your homepage automatically in a new tab.
Firefox Logo

Shows your homepage when you open a new tab instead of the default blank page.
There are two variables that can be changed using about:config

newtabhomepage.switchtonewtab: default (true)
This will automatically switch to the new tab if true.

newtabhomepage.highlighturlbar: default (false)
This will highlight the url bar if set to true.
If it is set to false the webpage decides where the charat should start e.g google.com places the charat in the search textbox.

Addon has been tested using Firefox 3 – 200
Mozilla Site: New Tab Homepage

The addon can also be downloaded straight from here by using the link below.

New Tab Homepage
NewTabHomepage-Clearz.xpi
Version: 1.1

2.3 KiB
839 Downloads
Details…

13 Comments »

• Manuel O. says:

Great add-on, love it’s functionality and simplicity!

Exactly what I needed to replace the old “new tab homepage” add-on I was using when I upgraded to FF5.

Great work ClearZ!

• bleno says:

Great addon, but it’s not declared compatible with Firefox 6. Can you update it? Thanks in advance :-)

• ClearZ says:

Hi bleno, I have added an updated version to the mozilla page. It is version 1.1 and can be found here:
    It works with FF6 and is FF7 ready.

• bleno says:

Cool, thanks.

Why doesn’t it update the default version to the last one? Is it because it’s “experimental”?

• forknecker says:

Thank you so much, it was driving me crazy! didn’t make sense I couldn’t get my homepage to open in a new tab.

• Jonni says:

Thank you! I too was going crazy trying to find a way to have my new tabs open with my homepage instead of my recent history. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! :)

• Hey there! This is kind of off topic but I need some help from an established blog.

Is it tough to set up your own blog? I’m not very techincal
    but I can figure things out pretty fast. I’m thinking about creating my own but I’m not sure where to begin. Do you have any ideas or suggestions?
    Many thanks

• Emanuele says:

On firefox 45,when you open a new tab,It does not automatically switch to the new page open. Please fix it, was the number 1! Thanks

• Thomas says:

To fix it, it seems to just need to replace
    newtabhomepage.prefs = Components.classes['@mozilla.org/preferences-service;1']
    .getService(Components.interfaces.nsIPrefService);

by

newtabhomepage.prefs = Components.classes['@mozilla.org/preferences-service;1']
    .getService(Components.interfaces.nsIPrefService).getBranch(“newtabhomepage.”);

and

newtabhomepage.prefs.getBoolPref(“newtabhomepage.switchtonewtab”)

by

newtabhomepage.prefs.getBoolPref(“switchtonewtab”)

(and same thing for highlighturlbar)

• Emanuele says:

Thomas can be more clear please?

• Angelo says:

Great product for years that I’ve recommended to anyone using Firefox. Recently the focus stopped shifting to the new Tab. I tried the instructions above but still no luck. Hopefully you can guide us to a fix for this cool product.

• Thomas says:

Emanuele, it’s the code to change to fix it, but it’s intended for the developer.

• Ulrike says:

whoah this weblog is wonderful i love reading your posts. Keep up the great work! You realize, lots of people are searching round for this info, you can help them greatly.

Leave a comment!

Be nice. Keep it clean. Stay on topic. No spam.

You can use these tags: